Monday, May 14, 2012

Mindful Thinking-Day 6: Mom's Day Off

Mother's day was yesterday. I decided last week that I was wanting to try to take today (Monday) 'off'.  Not that I can turn off my whole entire schedule of mom responsibilities, but I can take a day where I do less and take some time to do stuff I enjoy.  My son seems to understand this more than I think most grown men! When he heard of my plans to take the 'off' he asked "Well, then who is going to do your work?" He understands that my work is vitally important and can't just be not done, or even put off to a major degree.  This is something that my husband didn't understand the first 10 years or so of marriage and motherhood, so I am amazed at Bubby's perception.

Yesterday, I took the extra help from my husband who did the cooking and did as much housework as I could squeeze in.  I arranged as much to be done and taken care of as possible, so today would be as relaxing as I can make it.  Laundry, dishes and vacuuming, done.  Well, as done as those things can get.  I may have to do some today, but not so much.  No errands to run, no meals to cook, just me allowing myself to relax before the kids get out of school on Wednesday.  Then, it's on.  Full time mom duty.  Blogging and ability to keep up with my favorite on-line activities is sure to decline.  I run my house on a very strict schedule, very much like a school.  I have a specific time for everything.  I may talk about that in a separate entry.

Last week, I also booked a massage for this morning, which was rescheduled by the office an hour before I was supposed to be there for this afternoon. I have never had a massage before, so I was nervous enough without the time change.  I have no idea what to expect and am thinking of doing a search to get an idea.  I need a social story about massages! lol It's not just that I don't know what to expect, or that I'm afraid I won't like all the touching (not sure how I'll feel about that) or that I'm afraid the therapist will want to talk the whole time, which I do not want, but I am having that guilt of spending money and time in ways that I feel are frivolous.  You see, I am cheap.  Notoriously, penny-pinching, over worrying, cheap, frugal, spendthrift, whatever you want to call it.  I don't like to spend money.  I especially don't like spending money on myself, when I know it's not something of necessity.  It is killing me to think about spending $70 on a massage.  Not something I can wear or see, or use.  A massage.

So, today I take on the challenge of being okay with doing something new, which is scary, but potentially very enjoyable, as well.  I have to take that breath feel the anxiety and jump in anyway.  If I don't I'll never know if I like it, I'll never have that experience and I'll miss out on the opportunity to grow.  For today's addition to the Mindful Series I am thinking that my willingness to try new things balanced with a healthy sense of hesitation, but getting through it in a positive way is a step in the right direction to where I want to be. 

8 comments:

  1. Good for you girl to take a day off and spending a little money on your wellbeing! I hope you will enjoy every minute of your day.
    I have had massages before and I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me. That is being touched by someone I don't know. Maybe only my back and neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a couple and I have never felt so directly nurtured before! but like all therapy, the therapist has a lot to do with it... I hope yours is awesome! And if the therapist talks, tell them to shut it!
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You see, I am cheap. Notoriously, penny-pinching, over worrying, cheap, frugal, spendthrift, whatever you want to call it. I don't like to spend money. I especially don't like spending money on myself, when I know it's not something of necessity." - this is so me! I always wondered where it came from because my parents were never extreme one way or the other, so I knew it wasn't their fault. I guess it's just an Aspie thing!

    I love massages, btw. But not wimpy ones. My threshold for pain is absurdly high & massages are never hard enough unless I bruise. LOL. Plus, I LOATHE light touches. I'm getting grossed out now just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the light brushes are so super yucky. I will get to that someday when I finish the Sensory Issues series that I started. I only have visual processing issues done so far. I like deep pressure and only a certain kind of light touch that follows the deep pressure after my skin has had proper input. This was definitely on it with the deep pressure. It almost hurt, which I was surprised about.

      Delete
  4. I really hope you enjoy the massage. I'm a busy mum too, and it's years since I've had one, but I remember the wonderful feeling of allowing someone else to look after me for a change.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I did! I hope you remember to do the same for yourself!

      Delete

If you'd like to follow all comments to this post, please click the 'subscribe by email' link under the comment box. I always reply to every post, and appreciate all feedback. If you have issues getting your comment to post you can email me your comment at inneraspie@yahoo.com. Blogger sometimes loses a comment when the user goes to post, so it is always advisable to highlight and copy your text before hitting the post button.